Mohammed Dewji’s family announced a reward of nearly half a million dollars for information on his whereabouts.
Gunmen snatched Dewji, 43, listed by Forbes as Africa’s youngest billionaire, as he entered a hotel gym in Tanzania’s economic capital last Thursday morning.
“The family is offering a reward of a billion shillings ($437,000/376,000 euros) to any person who has information leading to the whereabouts of our son,” family spokesman Azim Dewji told a press conference.
Tanzania’s Home Affairs minister, Kangi Lugola addresses the nation, to deliver an upadte on the investigations into Dewji’s kidnapping.
Lugola says police are holding 20 people in connection with the incident, uring the nation to remain calm and trust the investigating and rescue teams.
He also sought to allay fears that the security agencies are overwhelmed by a trend of kidnappings, reporting that 44 out of 56 people kidnapped over the past three years had been rescued.
‘‘Let me use this opportunity to assure Tanzanians that our country is safe and they should continue with their daily activities without fear or intimidation,’‘ Lugola said.
He pledged that government would install CCTV cameras in various parts of the country to further secure the populace.